Thursday, March 18, 2010

Trust and Trustworthiness

After my PhD from IISc, I was to go to University of Tokyo for my post-doctoral work. Prof. Toshio Yamagata who had examined my thesis had recommended me for the JSPS Fellowship awarded by the Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of Japan. He had even made all necessary arrangements for my stay.
Just before leaving for Japan, I was asked by the JSPS officials as to how I would like to receive my relocation and initial settlement expenses and the choices given were - deposit into an international bank account; collect it at their office after arrival in Japan; and collect it from the Professor to whom they would have paid, if one chose that option. It was the year 1993 and we had no concept of international bank account and as I would require money as soon as I land I chose to collect it from the professor and responded saying so.
I landed there in Tokyo on a Saturday afternoon, spent the Sunday brooding and went to the university on Monday morning along with a co-researcher from the same residential complex. Met the professor and his secretary and began working on all the formalities that needed to be completed, the most important one (according to the professor) being opening of a bank account and depositing the money given to him by JSPS.
After a few days, when our acquaintance improved and we were more friendlier my professor told me that I was the only one who has placed so much trust on him. I could not understand the context and so asked him for explanation. He pointed to the choice that I had made and explained to me the importance that Japanese place on trust and trustworthiness. He also said that by this simple act I had won his trust. I could visibly perceive this in all our interactions.
While I had not paid any attention to that aspect until then, I took note of it. As I observe myself, I trust everyone to begin with. It is only when someone breaks the trust that I re-think about my indulgence with them. Many have advised me in this regard and have requested that I change my way, but this single incident reinforces my belief in trusting people and building trustworthiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment